About this course
Supported Decision Making is a free online learning resource of two video modules which provides general information to guide the process of supporting decision making for a person with an intellectual disability. The information in this resource is for supporters whom may include; parents, friends, family members, support workers, team leaders, coordinators and allied health professionals.
Module 01 is about the foundation skills of supported decision making
Module 02 is about planning for supported decision making
Also included is a workbook template that you can download and use as an Individualised Supported Decision Making tool.
At the end of the Foundations Skills module you will be able to answer:
- What is supported decision making?
- Why is supported decision making important?
- What is the role of the supporter?
- What are the benefits of supported decision making?
- What are the guiding principles?
- What are the considerations about taking risks?
At the end of the Planning module you will be able to answer:
- What do we need to consider when thinking about who will support the decision?
- What do we need to know about a person to effectively support them to make decisions?
- What steps are part of the decision making process?
Individualised Supported Decision Making Workbook
This booklet has been developed for supporters or a support network to collect information about how a person can get the support they need to make decisions. It is advised to continue to seek training and resources to further expand your understanding of the principles and strategies to be a Support Person for an individual to make their own decisions.
About this Course
These modules have been developed by Jaquie Mills and Alicia Gorman, and narrated by Alicia Gorman as part of a project funded by the Western Australian Department of Communities-Disability Services, in consultation with people with disability, parents and supporters.
Copyright © 2021 Developmental Disability WA - May be reproduced in whole or part for individual or family information only, subject to the inclusion of acknowledgement of source. May not be reproduced for commercial use or sale.